Neighborhood Walk: Around Kyoto's Streets

By kweneeeta - 3:06 PM

My first day in Kyoto was quite remarkable. I was fascinated by a lot of things. From the traditional stores, clothes, food, preserved streets—nothing bored me. And so, for my second day, I planned to start my sightseeing really early so that I can visit all the places in my list. Sadly, the earliest I can do is 9am.

I am to conquer Southern Higashiyama for the morning. Points of interest were: (1) Kiyomizu-dera, (2) Sannen-zaka & Ninnen-zaka, (3) Kodaiji. First stop was Kiyomizu-dera. I took a bus to Gojo-zaka Stop and walked all the way up to the temple. The walk was quite long (and steep) but with all the wonderful spots I passed by, I never felt tired.

Along Chawan-zaka or Teapot lane, you’ll see a lot of shops selling traditional stuff and local food. It’s really quite a view.
Kiyomizu-dera is one of Kyoto’s most popular temples. It was first built in 798 and was reconstructed from 1633. 


Hondo or the Main Hall has a huge verandah and juts out over the hillside. Admission fee at 300yen.
Jishu-jinja is the shrine located steps above the main hall. It is said that if you want to ensure your success in love, visit this shrine. No wonder a lot of couples were at this specific spot. What a way to secure your love life!

Close your eyes and walk 18m between a pair of stones. If you miss the stone, your desire for love won’t be fulfilled!

Just below the Main Hall is the Otowa-no-taki, a sacred waterfall where visitors can drick the water for health and longevity.

Be ready to join the long lines to drink the sacred water.

Downhill from Kiyomizu-dera is one of Kyoto’s loveliest restored neighborhoods, the Ninnen-zaka and Sannen-zaka. This area is definitely my favorite among all spots in Kyoto. The charming streets are lined with old wooden houses, same as those I usually see in Japanese animes!




 You can also spot a lot of local and foreign visitors going around this neighborhood in fancy kimonos. A lot of stalls also have free taste of their products. It’s like Macau all over again! Haha! I got to taste a lot of different local food and bought a lot of it too!

My sister, Yuki, joined me for today’s sightseeing. The tall pagoda at the back is the famous Yasaka pagoda.

Kodaiji is an exquisite temple with extensive grounds and is located between Yasaka Shrine and Kiyomizu-dera. Honestly, I can’t remember something unique or perhaps remarkable in this shrine which is why, probably, I easily forgot about this place.


An old, traditional house in Japan

Kiyomizu temple area is easy to explore. You’ll really never run out of exciting things to see and experience. Being a food-lover, I spent the longest time checking the local food stores. I got to try various local dishes and snacks. I went back and forth the same streets for nth times! I just couldn’t get enough of it! So if you have the luxury of time (and money), do a leisurely walk in this area. Probably rent a kimono and get a full experience of the authentic and traditional Japan.


Spotted! Kawaii~~

Kiyomizu Temple Area map for easy reference. This was provided for FREE at my hostel!

Originally, I was planning to explore Southern Higashiyama in the morning and move to Dowtown Kyoto in the afternoon. On my list to explore in the afternoon were Nijo-jo, Kyoto Imperial Place, and Toei Kyoto Studio Park. But because I spent a lot of time at Nannen-zaka, I was only able to visit Nijo-jo.

Ninomaru palace is divided into 5 buildings with numerous chambers. Unfortunately, no picture-taking inside the palace. 

Nijo-jo is a beautiful castle hidden behind the tall stone walls and is surrounded by beautiful gardens. The castle was originaly built in 1603 as the first official Kyoto residence of the first Tokugawa shogun, Ieyasu.

Don’t miss Ninomaru Palace Garden which has excellent landscaping!

Nijo-jo is a must-visit in Northwest Kyoto and a lot of tourists’ flocks in this site. It is best to visit upon opening and shortly before closing of gates.

A view from an elevated space inside the castle grounds
Since, Gion was nearby, I decided to check how it is at night. Apparently, most shops are closed at 7pm. Most of those which are still open are the restaurants. Not really the Gion that I was looking forward to.

Gion at night

According to my Japanese mother, Yoshimi, a red lantern outside a restaurant is to stimulate a person’s appetite for food.

Summary of today’s itinerary:



How to get to Kiyomizu-dera: From Shijo Kawaramachi Stand E, take City Bus 207 to Gojozaka Stop or Kiyomizu-michi and walk 10 minutes.  From Kyoto Station, take Bus 86/100/110/206 to Kiyumizu-michi or Gojozaka Stop and walk 10 minutes. By train, take Keihan line to Kiyomizu-gojo. Opening hours: 6:00am-6:00pm

How to get to Kodaiji: From Kyoto Station, take Bus 100/206 to Higashiyama Yasui Stop and walk 10 minutes.

How to get to Nijo-jo: From Shijo Kawaramachi Stand D, take Bus 12 to Nijojo-mae Stop and walk to the castle. From Kyoto station (by train), take Tozai Line to Nijo-jo-mae. Opening hours: 9:00am-5:00pm

©Poorita The Explorer

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments