From Present to Past, From Tokyo to Kyoto

By kweneeeta - 8:02 PM

Today I'm scheduled to go to Kyoto. I was actually planning to leave really early like 7am or 8am so that the whole afternoon I will have enough time to walk around Arashiyama area. But I decided against it. My Japanese friends told me last night during our dinner that it might be challenging to take the train especially since I'm headed to Tokyo station for it is rush hour. So instead, I left the hostel at 9:30am. I already had my breakfast at the hostel. Instead of walking to my usually station-Tawaramachi, I took the Tsukuba Express at Asakusa Station. I didn't feel like walking much today. Plus, I have all my luggage--it was heavy.



I arrived at Tokyo station at around 10am. The station was friendly to me haha! I didn't get lost or what. As a matter of fact, I was able to easily locate the shinkansen ticket counters and railway number. I was planning to take the slower trains so that I can save a little. But, the ticket agent I talked to cannot speak English so I just let him decide which train I should take. He gave me reserved seat tickets for the 10:50am Nozomi train with is headed to Hiroshima and stops at Kyoto. It cost me 13,770yen. It's quite expensive actually. Even more than the cost of taking a flight from Tacloban to Manila. By the way, if you have a JR ticket, he will ask for that and subtract the amount of your ticket to the total amount payable. The agent will give you 2 tickets. Don't be surprised. One is for the 'base fare' and another is for the 'seat reservation'. Insert both--together--at the ticket gates.

Shinkansen tickets are quite expensive but worth the try.

Shinkansen offers different accommodation types. There is the green car, reserved, or non-reserved cars. Green car is like the business-class with wide chairs and legroom. I was able to try it last 2011--comfy and roomy. During peak seasons, getting a reserved seat is advisable. Don't worry about the accommodations. The seats are still comfy and not cramped. Non-reserved seats, as the word implies, makes you choose your own seat when you embark. No worries. No one will be left standing all throughout the ride. And this is the cheapest option. By the way, there are different kinds of shinkansen; Nozomi being the fastest one. Take note that ALL trains in Japan leave on the dot. So be on the right track minutes before the scheduled departure. If you're on a budget travel, taking the overnight bus can be an alternative way to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto.

A super tasty bento I bought at one of the stalls at the platform area

Unluckily, Mt. Fuji is a little shy today. I wasn't able to see her clearly.

The trip was rather short. After 2 hours and 18 minutes, I have arrived at the old capital. Kyoto station was less confusing than Tokyo station. I was able to easily find my way to the subway station. The tricky part however was going to the hostel. Still, I arrived at the hostel way early than their check out time. So the only choice was to leave my luggage and start my walking tour.

After taking a quick snack, I went to explore Arashiyama area. I took Kyoto Bus 11 from Shijo Kawaramachi Bus Station to Arashiyama Tenruji-mae Station. It was quite a long ride, about 45 minutes. The first this thing I noticed about Kyoto is its scarily narrow streets. Also, there can be quite a traffic jam especially if you're coming from or headed to the densely populated areas like the Kyoto Station area.

 Arashiyama and Sagano area is the second most important sightseeing district in Kyoto where you can find all the classic Japanese tourist traps. From Arashiyama Tenryuji-mae Bus Station, walk into the extensive bamboo grove. taking pictures in this area can be quite disappoint for it is hard to get good light. The majesty of the place is just too difficult to capture in a single frame.

The dark and cool world of bamboo groves
Along the groves, you'll find the entrance to one of the most attractive stroll gardens in Kyoto--the Tenryu-ji Temple. Best time to visit would be early in the morning or on weekdays when there is a lesser crowd. The temple is open from 8:30am to 5:30pm.

Entrance to Tenryu-ji Temple. Pay an admission fee of 600yen.


Map of a walking tour inside the Tenryu-ji Temple which comes with your admission ticket.

The beautiful pond garden in front of the main hall. It could have been prettier if the leaves have already turned red.
I was fascinated by these "omamori" that I bought a lot. Just asked for a little help from the temple lady. Everything was in Japanese, though.

Japanese omamori or amulets

Along the main street in Arashiyama, you'll find a lot of Japanese restaurants and traditional arts and crafts which you can buy as souvenirs.




How to get to Arashiyama: From Kyoto Station, take City Bus 28 to Arashiyama Tenryuji-Mae Station. From Shijo Kawaramachi or Sanjo Keihan, take City Bus 11.







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments