Chasing the Sun: Solo Flight to the Land of the Rising Sun

By kweneeeta - 5:29 PM

Japan has top be on the top of the travel bucket list of anime fanatics like me. The temples, the old streets, the manga centers--it's like being in one of our favorite anime. Ah! Our promised land (haha!). 2011 was the first time I set foot in the Land of the Rising Sun. It was for a youth exchange program though. I didn't get to see the parts of Japan that I have always dreamed of visiting. So, yeah! After five long years, I decided to embark on a solo trip to Japan. I took the last flight from Tacloban to Manila. By 7:30pm, I'm already at NAIA T3. My flight the next day was at 5:15am

.
I checked in at a capsule room in The Wings at T3 so that I can rest. I was able to sleep despite the noise around the hall. The capsule room was small and comfy. It had all the necessities you need. Towels and toiletries are provided. Shower and light meals are free if you get a capsule bed. Otherwise, it will cost you Php 300.00. Aside from the sleeping capsule rooms, The Wings also offers a lot of other services. Check out their website for the complete details.



The capsule beds. Small but comfy.

At 2:30am, I checked out from The Wings and breezed through the check-in and immigration counters. I'm just happy that there were no long queues today. At 5:15am, we took off. The ride was long. Though I slept for the most of it, it was still loooong and tiring. It would be so nice to be in business class (Ha! In my dreams!).

view from my window seat

We arrived at Narita 15 minutes ahead of our arrival time. Great! Narita is still the same Narita from 5 years ago. After being cleared by the immigration and picking up my luggage, the fun starts. Mentally I'm up to the challenge but emotionally, I am horrified. First task was to look for a currency exchange counter. Done. Second, look for the 3-day ticket passes. Done. Last, make my way to the hostel. This was very tough. Being a non-reader of Nihonggo, it was hard to decipher what was written in the ticket. Good thing I found a nice Japanese lady to ask. Note that if you get a Sky Access ticket, there is an assigned car and seat for you. I just found out about this when I thoroughly checked my ticket and deduced correctly.

Note: Remove your passport covers when going through immigration. Use of phones and taking pictures while on queue is prohibited. 

After a very thorough research, I decided not to purchase a JR Pass. I thought I will not be able to maximize the use or at least be break-even with the ticket cost. The JR Pass is good for travelers who plans to visit Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo, Tokyo-Osaka-Hiroshima, or something that requires you to ride the shinkansen for at least two times. Plus, there's a lot of local passes that you can probably opt to buy.

In Tokyo, I bought the the Keisei Skyliner and Tokyo Subway 3-day pass. this ticket gives you unlimited rides on the Tokyo Metro and Toei subway lines and a one-way/roundtrip ride on the skyliner from Narita to city center. It comes in different packakges. Check their website here.  Note that Tokyo train system is very complex but efficient. So always read signs, double check the platform number, and don't be shy to ask for assistance.

You can buy online or at their desk at Narita International Airport.

I alighted at Ueno station and had to make my way to Asakusa Toei Station. It was a long walk and lot of stairs. So if you plan to stay in the same hostel that I slept in, better take a limousine bus that will take you directly to Asakusa View Hotel. It's a short walk away from Khaosan World Asakusa Hostel. Read about the hostel in this blog post.

Tired of walking? No problem. hire a rickshaw. It might cost you a lot though. But you'll get a ride and a tour guide.

Shopping!!
My hostel was near the tourist spots in Asakusa area. So after I left my luggage (check-in time was at 3pm), I looked for a lunch place then started my walking tour around Asakusa. I visited Senso-ji temple which is probably the most visited spot in Asakusa area. Senso-ji is the oldest temple in the whole of Tokyo. The entrance to Senso-ji is Kaminari-mon which means “Thunder Gate”. After passing through the gate, a long line of shopping stalls wil greet you. This bustling shopping street is called Nakamise-dori.A lot of traditional Japanese stuff are sold here. I just did a lot of window shopping, though. At the end of the shoping street is the Senso-ji Temple.


The weather was nice today--not so cold, not hot either; thus, a big crowd
The very crowded Nakamise-dori. Window shopping for me!
Part of the fun in visiting temples is getting your fortune told by an omikuji (paper fortune). On the right side (facing the main temple), there is hall where you can have your fortune told. However, everything is in Japanese, so..... 

Gankake, a wooden tablet where you can write your prayers and wishes in.

After walking around the temple, I followed the crowd and it led me to a long stretch of stores. They sell various items ranging from traditional clothing, trendy clothes, food, and a lot more. Again, window shopping (haha!). 




By 4pm I walked back to the hostel to check-in and take a little rest. I did a lot of walking today but my feet barely hurt. At 6pm, I checked out Akihabara. My destination was supposed to be Shibuya but the train system was crazy! I got lost, walked in circles, and decided to give up and just explore Akihabara. I love anime so it wasn’t really a problem. I went into a lot of manga shops. The English manga was ridiculously expensive—so as the statuettes. I just bought one (Luffy and Ace). Then I went out and hoarded gatcha-gatcha (hehe!).


Train ticket to Akihabara
The brightly lit Akihabara
Manga-lovers' heaven!



How to get to Senso-ji Temple: Take Tobu Line Subway to Asakusa Station. Follow the signs leading you to the temple. Temple is open year-round from 6:00am to 5:00pm. FREE

How to get to Akihabara: Take JR Line to Akihabara Station.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments