Exploring Cebu: Fort San Pedro

By kweneeeta - 11:55 AM

FACT: Fort San Pedro is considered to be the oldest fort in the Philippines. This served as a stronghold for Filipino revolutionaries near the end of the 19th century. It was a military defense structure built by the Spaniards and indigenous Cebuano laborers under the command of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. It is now one of the historical places in the Cebu Island and has become a tourist attraction as well.


I'm not really that familiar when it comes to streets here in Cebu, and so it's really hard for me to commute through jeepneys. Sadly, I always rode taxis. But when my family and I went to Fort San Pedro (I'm not really sure if it's "Fort" or "Port", for consistency, I shall use "Fort" =D), we took the PUJ. From my place which is in Mandaue, we rode 21D PUJ. We got off at Plaza Independencia and strode to the gates of Fort San Pedro. We paid Php 20.00 each as entrance fee.

Right then and there at the entrance, you can hear local folks singing Original Pinoy Music (OPM), also cebuano songs which, by the way, delighted the foreign tourists.


There were many foreign tourists when we went there (mostly Koreans).

 Fort San Pedro is a relatively small place but then, you can really see how the Philippines was during Spanish regime. They have many displays that will give you a good grasp of Philippine history.


All in all, it is a good place to visit.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments