Exploring Brunei Darussalam: Kampong Ayer

By kweneeeta - 11:36 AM

another sight at Brunei located near the area where we road the motorboat

Brunei Darussalam is indeed the Kingdom of Unexpected Treasures. Considering its small size, it has lots to offer for a tourist just like me. Brunei is a very serene and orderly place which I think is another charm of the country. One of the places I've been to is Kampong Ayer. I was greatly fascinated of the architectural designs of the houses which stood on stilts, above water.

my foster family

You need to ride a motorboat in order to get around the water village. I have observed that it is a huge village (though I didn't see the whole thing) complete with schools, museum, mosque, and even a gas station! Wow! really wow!

school at Kampong Ayer

The villagers usually own a boat. They use this in moving around the village. Though most of the houses and buildings are connected by woodbridges, still, they need the motorboats to go to the city and anywhere else. According to the guide, villagers usually go to the market (which is in the city) once a week to purchase their necessities.

 
a mosque connected to the houses

Yes! That's right! They even have a floating gasoline station

Kampong Ayer Cultural & Tourism Gallery

At the end of the tour, we went to see a historical rock. They said that there are many folklore talking about the said rock. Forgive me but I can't remember the stories anymore. =(

a historical rock in Kampong Ayer

Kampong Ayer is really an amazing place. The whole village is actually built above water, and note that most of the population of Brunei lives here. Woah! That's just so amazing!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments